Privacy Notice – Highlights
Last Updated: 1 October 2018
When you sign up to be a member of the Hearst UK reader panel (the “Reader Panel”) and participate in the surveys, questionnaires, mini polls, discussion forums, and other research projects available to members of the Reader Panel (each a “Project”), we and third parties obtain certain information about you. In this Highlights section, we provide an overview of our privacy practices related to the Reader Panel and Projects. Please review our full Privacy Notice below for a more detailed explanation.
What Information We Obtain
- Information you provide when you sign up to be a member of the Reader Panel. This includes your contact and demographic information.
- Information you submit in relation to your participation in a Project. This information varies depending on the Project you participate in and is described further in our full Privacy Notice below.
- Precise location information associated with your device when location services are active.
- Information we obtain from other sources, such as business partners and data suppliers.
Read more here.
How We Use Information We Obtain and Our Legal Bases for Doing So
- To process your requests and provide you with the Reader Panel and your participation in the Projects.
- To learn about our consumers through your interaction with the Projects. We aggregate this information to create research insights which we use for a number of purposes as described further in our full Privacy Notice.
- To communicate with you about the Reader Panel, including to send you emails about Projects you may wish to participate in
- For advertising and marketing purposes, for cross-device linking and to analyse the performance of advertising and marketing activities.
- To protect our rights and the rights of others.
- We process personal information for different purposes on the following legal bases: to pursue our legitimate interests, with your consent or at your direction, and to comply with our legal obligations. We provide more specific information on legal bases for processing here.
Read more about how we use information here.
How We Share Information
- Within the Hearst family of companies.
- With service providers that perform services on our behalf, including hosting the Reader Panel site.
- With business partners, such as when we partner with a third party for product testing.
- Other parties when required by law or as necessary to protect our rights, and in the context of corporate transactions.
- With your consent or otherwise at your direction.
Read more here.
- You can withdraw from participation in the Reader Panel by using the option “Delete my account” or contacting us at firstname.lastname@example.org;
- You can withdraw from participation in a Project by ceasing to participate or by deleting your account.
- You can unsubscribe from emails from the Hearst Panel by clicking the unsubscribe link in the email or visit the profile page and uncheck the opt-in box for email communication
Read more here.
- We use a variety of security technologies and procedures to help protect information from unauthorised access, use or disclosure.
- We put appropriate safeguards in place to protect your data when it is transferred to, stored, and processed in a country that does not have similar data protection laws to the European Union or United Kingdom.
- The Reader Panel is not intended for use by children under the age of 18.
Read more here.
If you have questions about this Privacy Notice you can contact us using the contact information provided here.
Last Updated: 1 October 2018
This Privacy Notice describes how Hearst UK (as defined in the “Contact Us” section below and referred to in this notice as “we”, “us”, “our” and “Hearst”) collects and processes personal information about you, how we use and protect this information, and your rights in relation to this information. This Privacy Notice applies to personal information we collect or process about you in relation to your participation in Hearst’s Reader Panel and the Projects.
Hearst operates the Reader Panel and Projects in order to better understand our consumers’ interests, preferences and behaviour in order to enhance our editorial content, advertising and user experience. We also use the information and input obtained through the Reader Panel and Projects to create research insights for our business partners and others who may ask us to test their products or services. Participation in the Reader Panel and the Projects is voluntary.
This Privacy Notice describes the privacy practices of Hearst in relation to the Reader Panel and Projects only and does not cover the practices of other companies. For information about our privacy practices in relation to the Hearst publication websites, mobile apps and other digital services (the “Hearst Digital Services”), as well as in relation to any subscriptions you may have to Hearst publications, please see the relevant Privacy Notice at www.hearst.co.uk/privacy-notice.
B. WHAT INFORMATION WE OBTAIN
When you sign up to participate in the Reader Panel through our website linking to this Privacy Notice, we obtain various types of information related to you. This includes information that directly identifies you such as your name or contact information as well as information such as online identifiers and cookie data, which may indirectly identify you. The information we obtain generally consists of information (1) you give us about yourself during the sign-up process, (2) information we obtain based on your participation in a Project, (3) automatically collected about your interactions with the Reader Panel (4) we get from other sources as described further below.
1. Information you give us when you sign up for the Reader Panel
When you use sign up as a member of the Reader Panel, you are required to create an account and provide us with certain information. You will not be able to register as a member if you do not provide the requested information. The information you give us includes your contact information (e.g., name, mailing address, email address or phone number) and your interests and preferences information in relation to the Hearst brands.
2. Information we obtain through your participation in the Reader Panel and/or Projects
We obtain additional information from you when you choose to participate in the Reader Panel and/or Projects.
- Demographic, interests and household information (e.g., age, gender or education).
- Comments, photos, videos and other content or information you choose to publish on the Reader Panel website or otherwise share with us.
- Your answers and other information you provide in relation to Survey (including information about your participation in activities that generate loyalty or rewards points).
- Location information, including precise location information when you choose to authorise it in relation to your participation in a Project. To prevent the collection of precise location information, please refer to instructions provided by your mobile service provider or device manufacturer.
- Transactional and activity information (e.g., requests or searches).
3. Information automatically collected
The Reader Panel site automatically logs certain information about your participation, including your visits to site, the number and frequency of users, technical information about browsers and devices used to access the Reader Panel site, and information about crashes or other technical issues. In addition, in accordance with your expressed preferences, we and third parties automatically collect certain information through automated means about your activities over time across the Reader Panel site and the Hearst Digital Services as well as across third-party sites, apps or other media. The tools that collect this information vary depending on the Project you participate in and include technologies such as cookies, web beacons, tags, scripts, pixels, local shared objects (including HTML5 cookies) and software development kits (“SDKs”) (referred to collectively as “Cookies and Similar Technologies”).
The information automatically collected may include the following:
- Information about your computer, device, browser and operating system (e.g., type, model, or version).
- Internet protocol (IP) address, which can be used to derive your general geographic area (e.g., city and country).
- Device identifiers (e.g., mobile advertising IDs).
- Information about your participation in the Reader Panel, including clickstream data that reflect the content you have accessed, clicked on, or viewed. This information varies depending on the Project you participate in.
- Information about how you accessed the Reader Panel, including details about websites or apps visited immediately before or after accessing the Reader Panel.
- Demographic, interests and household information.
- Information about your interactions with email messages and other communications, such as whether you opened or forwarded the email or clicked on links contained in the email.
Some Cookies and Similar Technologies assign or collect unique cookie IDs or other identifiers associated with your browser or device. Cookies and Similar Technologies may collect information while you are participating in the Reader Panel or while the Reader Panel is running in the background of your device. More information about the Cookies and Similar Technologies used on the Reader Panel website and in relation to your participation in a Project, including how to manage your preferences, is available in our Cookies Policy.
Advertising Effectiveness Measurement Reader Panel
If you choose to participate in the Advertising Effectiveness Measurement Reader Panel Projects , we and our service providers may use additional Cookies and Similar Technologies with your permission to measure your interactions on the Hearst Digital Services and across the web.
4. Information we obtain from other sources
We receive information about you from other sources and it may be combined with other information we have about you. For example, we may obtain information from third-party data providers and business partners.
C. HOW WE USE INFORMATION WE OBTAIN
We use your information:
1. To provide you with the Reader Panel and the Projects. This includes:
- Processing your requests and administering your participation in the Reader Panel and the Projects.
- Maintaining, operating, improving and developing the Reader Panel site and related sites, including developing new features.
- Enhancing the quality and your overall experience with the Reader Panel site and related sites, including by retaining your user preferences or presenting content in the most effective manner for the browser or device you use to access the Reader Panel site.
- Measuring and optimising usage, reliability and performance, analysing trends, and supporting our operations (e.g., for accounting, auditing, financial, legal or other purposes).
2. To create research insights based on your participation in the Reader Panel and Projects. We use the information you provide through your participation in the Reader Panel and the Projects and aggregate it to create research insights. We use these research insights to learn about our consumers and analyse how you and others interact with and respond to Hearst’s and our business partners’ offerings and advertising or marketing campaigns.
3. To communicate with you. This includes:
- Sending you informational messages about the Reader Panel and Projects (e.g., to confirm your participation in a Project or notify you of changes to the Reader Panel).
- Responding to your questions or addressing your requests.
- Communicating with you about other Projects which may be of interest to you as well as surveys, sweepstakes, competitions, promotions or events.
- Developing, managing and conducting advertising and marketing campaigns, promotions and offers, including about our content, products and services or third-parties’ products, services and other initiatives. With your permission, this may include comments, photos, videos and other content or information you choose to submit to the Reader Panel or in participation of a Project or otherwise share with us.
- Cross-device linking. If you access the Reader Panel from multiple browsers or devices, we, our service providers and third parties may try to establish connections among and link the different browsers and devices you use to access the Reader Panel. This helps us provide you with a seamless experience across the browsers and devices you use and serve you with more relevant content.
- Analysing and measuring the performance, effectiveness and reach of advertising and marketing initiatives when you choose to participate in the Advertising Effectiveness Measurement Reader Panel Project
5. To protect our rights or the rights of others. This includes:
- Performing audits, assessments and testing or troubleshooting activities.
- Backing up our systems (including for disaster recovery purposes) and enhancing the overall security of the Reader Panels.
- Complying with and enforcing applicable industry and legal requirements (including legal process such as court orders, warrants or subpoenas) and fulfilling contractual obligations.
D. LEGAL BASES FOR USING INFORMATION
We process personal information for different purposes on the following legal bases:
- To pursue our legitimate interests. To accomplish our legitimate interests, we will process the data you provide on the Reader Panel and through your participation in the Projects to to create research insights. We use these research insights to learn about our consumers and analyse how you and others interact with and respond to Hearst’s and our business partners’ offerings and advertising or marketing campaigns. In addition, we may share your information with our affiliates and subsidiaries, service providers and business partners (including for our advertising and marketing purposes) and in the context of a corporate transaction. We also process your information to communicate with you and for our advertising and marketing purposes on this legal basis. We maintain safeguards to protect the information we process to pursue our legitimate interests.
- With your consent. We obtain your consent to process your information when we are required to do so by law. With regard to any sensitive information you submit to a Reader Panel, we process this on the basis of your consent. If consent is the legal basis on which we process your personal information, you can withdraw your consent at any time by contacting us using the information provided in the “Contact Us” section below.
- To comply with our legal obligations. We process and share your information as necessary to comply with our legal obligations when we use your information to protect our rights or the rights of others and when we share your information with other parties where required by law or as necessary to protect our rights.
We share the personal data we obtain with:
- Affiliates and Subsidiaries. We work closely with affiliates and subsidiaries within the Hearst family of companies with whom we share your information as necessary or appropriate to operate the Reader Panel and the Projects.
- Service Providers. In connection with the operation and provision of the Reader Panel and the Projects we engage various third parties to provide services or handle transactions on our behalf, such as website hosting, email distribution, list processing, postal mailing for products you are testing, cloud computing, analytics, ad serving, and managing sweepstakes, competitions, promotions or events. These service providers use the information we provide to them as necessary or appropriate for the performance of their services.
- Business Partners. In certain circumstances we provide your information to business partners including, without limitation, partners whose products we offer for testing. For example, we may share your contact information so that the business partner can send you the relevant product. The participation of a business partner in a particular initiative is communicated to you by the inclusion of the products, services or branding of the relevant business partner.
- Other Parties When Required by Law or As Necessary to Protect Our Rights. We share your information as we believe is necessary or appropriate to protect, enforce, or defend our legal rights, the privacy or safety of our employees, members of the Reader Panel or other individuals and entities, or to comply with or enforce applicable industry standards, law or legal process, including responding to court orders, warrants, subpoenas and other requests from public and government authorities.
- Corporate Transactions. We may transfer any of the information we have about you to proceed with the consideration, negotiation, or completion of a sale or transfer of all or a portion of our business or assets to a third party, such as in the event of a merger, acquisition or other disposition, or in connection with a bankruptcy reorganisation, dissolution, or liquidation.
- With Your Consent or Otherwise at Your Direction. In addition, we share your information with third parties when you consent to or request such sharing. Please note that we may share research insights based on aggregated information derived from your participation in the Reader Panels with any of the parties listed above, but the research insights will not include your personal data unless you consent to or direct such sharing.
Because we operate as part of a global business, the recipients referred to above will sometimes be located outside the jurisdiction in which you are located (or in which we provide the Reader Panels). See the section on “International Data Transfer” below for more information.
F. YOUR RIGHTS OVER YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION
In certain circumstances, you have a right to access or object to the use of personal information held about you. You can also ask us to rectify, update, erase, restrict or to share your information in a usable format with another company. Such requests are subject to applicable law.
We encourage you to contact us to update or correct your information if it changes or if the personal information we hold about you is inaccurate.
If you would like to discuss or exercise such rights, please contact us using the details provided in the “Contact Us” section below. We will contact you if we need additional information from you in order to honour your request.
a. YOUR CHOICES
- Withdrawal from a Project. You can withdraw from participation in a Reader Panel by ceasing to participate or by withdrawing from the Reader Panel.
- Withdrawal from the Reader Panel. You can choose to withdraw from the Reader Panel at any time. To do so, go to your Profile page and choose the ‘delete my account’ option. Alternatively, please send an email to email@example.com with the subject line ‘DELETE MY ACCOUNT’ using the email address you used when registering onto the community.
- Emails from the Reader Panel about Projects. If you no longer wish to receive email notifications from the Reader Panel, you can click on the “Unsubscribe” link in those emails and/or visit your profile page and uncheck the opt in box on that page.
- Device Settings. For relevant Projects you will be able to review and adjust your preferences by updating the settings on your device (e.g., permitting us to collect precise location information).
G. HOW WE PROTECT AND STORE YOUR INFORMATION
We use a variety of security technologies and procedures to help protect information from unauthorised access, use or disclosure.
We will keep your personal information for as long as we have a relationship with you. Once our relationship with you has come to an end, we will retain your personal information for a period of time that enables us to:
- Maintain business records for analysis, understanding market trends and/or audit purposes and to improve our Reader Panel and Projects.
- Comply with record retention requirements under applicable laws or other relevant legal or regulatory requirements.
- Defend, establish, exercise or bring any existing or potential legal claims.
- Carry out fraud detection and prevention.
- Deal with any complaints regarding the Reader Panel, the Project or, our products and services.
We will delete your personal information when it is no longer required for these purposes. If there is any information that we are unable, for technical reasons, to delete from our systems, we will put in place appropriate measures to prevent any further processing or use of the data.
H. INTERNATIONAL DATA TRANSFER
In certain circumstances, your personal information will be transferred to, stored, and processed in countries outside the European Union or United Kingdom that do not have similar data protection laws to the European Union or United Kingdom.
In such circumstances we put appropriate safeguards in place to protect your data, including contractual commitments. For more information on these safeguards, please contact us at the details below.
I. CHILDREN’S PRIVACY RIGHTS
Children under the age of 18 are not eligible for participation in the Reader Panel, and we do not knowingly collect personal information from children under the age of 18.
J. LINKS TO THIRD-PARTY WEBSITES, MOBILE APPS OR OTHER SERVICES
Certain Projects contain links to websites, mobile apps or other services operated by companies not affiliated with Hearst. In addition, the Reader Panel may be made available to you through third-party platforms (such as app stores or social media platforms) or other channels. We are not responsible for the privacy practices of any non-Hearst operated websites, mobile apps or other services and channels, and we encourage you to review the privacy policies or notices published by relevant third parties.
K. CHANGES TO THIS PRIVACY NOTICE
We update this Privacy Notice from time to time to reflect changes in our privacy practices or applicable laws. Where changes to this Privacy Notice have a fundamental impact on the nature of the processing or otherwise have a substantial impact on you, we will give you advanced notice so that you have the opportunity to exercise your rights (e.g. to object to the processing). We will publish the updated version on the Reader Panel site and indicate at the top of the Privacy Notice when it was most recently updated. Your participation in the Reader Panel will be governed by the then-current version of the Privacy Notice.
L. CONTACT US
The Hearst entity responsible for the Reader Panels is The National Magazine Company Limited (“Hearst UK”). See below for contact information.
House of Hearst
30 Panton Street
Data Protection Officer
Unit 9, Apollo Business Centre
We are committed to working with you to obtain a fair resolution in the event you have a complaint or concern about privacy. If, however, you believe that we have not been able to assist with your complaint or concern, you have the right to make a complaint to a data protection authority.